Jimi

Loblaw says it ordered 25 Tesla electric trucks wants fully electric fleet

MONTREAL — Loblaw Companies Ltd. says it is among the first purchasers of Tesla’s new electric truck.Canada’s largest supermarket chain (TSX:L) says it has pre-ordered 25 of the vehicles called the Tesla Semi.“It’s part of our commitment to electrify our fleet,” spokeswoman Catherine Thomas said.Earlier this month, Loblaw committed to have a fully electric fleet as part of the company’s commitment to reduce its carbon footprint by 2030.That would involve adding 350 zero-emission vehicles and more than 2,500 trailers to the fleet.The Ontario-based grocer said removing diesel from its transport trucks and refrigerated trailers could reduce more than 94,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually, the equivalent of removing more than 20,000 cars from the road.By 2030, Loblaw expects to have reduced emissions from electricity use by 35 per cent, transportation by 25 per cent, and refrigerants by 50 per cent.First deliveries of the Tesla trucks are expected in 2019.No price for the trucks was provided, but reservations for the Tesla Semi cost US$5,000 per truck.Wal-Mart says it has also pre-ordered 15 vehicles, including 10 for its Canadian routes.“We have a long history of testing new technology — including alternative-fuel trucks — and we are excited to be among the first to pilot this new heavy-duty electric vehicle,” Wal-Mart spokesman Ryan Curell wrote in an email.“We believe we can learn how this technology performs within our supply chain, as well as how it could help us meet some of our long-term sustainability goals, such as lowering emissions.”Tesla declined to identify any other Canadian buyers for the truck that it says can go from zero to 100 kph in five seconds without a trailer, compared to 15 seconds for a comparable diesel truck.It says the Tesla Semi requires no shifting for smooth acceleration and its brakes recover 98 per cent of kinetic energy to the battery.“Overall, the Semi is more responsive, covers more miles than a diesel truck in the same amount of time, and more safely integrates with passenger car traffic,” it said on the company’s website.Tesla says that a fully loaded Semi consumes less than two kilowatt-hours of energy per mile and has a range of about 800 kilometres. That could save owners at least US$200,000 in fuel costs over 1.6 million km.The Canadian Press read more

Cheltenham Festival punter nearly blinded in attack because he wore pink suit

A spokesman for Gloucestershire Constabulary said: “Police are appealing for information following an unprovoked assault on the final day of The Festival which left a 22-year-old man needing facial surgery.”On March 16 the victim was on his phone in the open area of the Best Mate enclosure at Cheltenham Racecourse when he was approached by an unknown man and punched in the face.”The incident happened at approximately 5.15pm and the victim, who is from Bristol, suffered a fractured cheekbone which required surgery.”At the time of the incident the victim was wearing a distinctive light pink suit and was in a crowded area.”Police have exhausted all other lines of enquiry and are now appealing for the public’s help to identify the offender.” George had bought the dusty pink suit especially for that day. He added:  “It could have been worse – they said I was lucky not to be blind in my left eye.”George  has been told the enclosure had no CCTV, despite thousands of punters milling around. Mr Flower in his suit Mr Flower in his suit He described the suspect as short, stocky, aged about 35 to 40 with short black hair and a chubby face.The fibre optic engineer said: “The only thing people have said to me is that maybe it was the pink suit I was wearing.”Some of my family members said maybe they thought I was gay because I was wearing a pink suit.” A Cheltenham Festival punter says he was nearly blinded in an attack during horse racing’s flagship event simply because he was wearing a pink suit.George Flower, 22, suffered a fractured eye socket and needed a metal plate inserted in his cheekbone after he was the victim of a random attack at the Best Mate enclosure.He believes it may have been a homophobic attack, provoked by his three piece pink suit, which cost £250 from ASOS.Medics told him he was lucky not to lose the sight in his left eye, and he spent a month off work recovering.George had been at the races with about 30 friends on March 16 when he lost the people he was with and tried to reach them on the phone.  When he looked up, a stocky middle aged man with dark hair punched him in the face. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. read more

Biegler announced Polish squad for WC 2013 – Only three players from

← Previous Story Serbian girls want more – Dream about medal still alive! Next Story → Bundesliga (Round 15): Brave MT Melsungen win 29-25 in Kiel against THW! Polish NT coach, Michael Biegler has announced 24-players squad for the upcoming World’s Championship 2013 in Spain. Poland will play in Group in Saragoza with Serbia, Korea, Belarus, Saudi Arabia and Slovenia.goalkeepers: Sławomir Szmal (Vive Targi Kielce), Marcin Wichary (SPR Wisła Płock), Adam Malcher (Zagłębie Lubin)players: Michał Jurecki, Karol Bielecki, Krzysztof Lijewski, Tomasz Rosiński, Bartłomiej Tomczak, Piotr Grabarczyk (Vive Targi Kielce), Michał Kubisztal, Kamil Syprzak, Adam Wiśniewski, Paweł Paczkowski (SPR Wisła Płock), Przemysław Krajewski, Piotr Masłowski, Rafał Przybylski (Azoty Puławy), Robert Orzechowski, Antoni Łangowski (MMTS Kwidzyn), Michał Bartczak (Zagłębie Lubin), Michał Chodara, Marek Szpera (SPR Stal Mielec), Mariusz Jurkiewicz (Atletico Madryd), Bartłomiej Jaszka (Fuechse Berlin), Bartosz Jurecki (SC Magdeburg)reserves: Krzysztof Łyżwa, Mateusz Jankowski (Azoty Puławy), Wojciech Gumiński (Zagłębie Lubin), Jakub Łucak (SPR Chrobry Głogów).photo: Szymon Labinskihttp://slab.pl/ Michael BieglerPolish handball nt read more